Law Office of Melissa C. Marsh

Request a Same Day Telephone Consultation

Contact Us
Sherman Oaks, CA
Tel: 818-849-5206
Tel: 323-655-1002
E-mail: MMarsh

Home About Us
Areas of Practice
Articles Business Transactions Corporations Employment Law Internet-Computer Law Landlord-Tenant Limited Liability Company Partnerships Real Estate Law Trademark & Copyright Wills & Trusts
Testimonials Client Alerts Useful Links Contact Us
Request a Same Day Telephone Consultation
Visa Mastercard American Express PayPal


How To Get A California Seller's Permit For Your California Business

Prepared By: Melissa C. Marsh, Los Angeles Business Attorney
Written: March 2009

Note: For a list of the sales and use tax rates for each county, please visit the California State Board of Equalization.

Who Needs a California Seller's Permit, also commonly referred to as a Sales Permit?
If your California business, corporation, or limited liability company (LLC) will provide, sell or lease any taxable taxable good, product or service, your business must apply for a California Seller's Permit for each business location before engaging in any sales subject to sales tax. Each location where sales of taxable items are made requires, and must display, a valid California seller’s permit. Consequently, a separate California sales permit is required for each location where sales of taxable items will be made.

Although California presently does not charge a fee to issue a California seller's permit, the State Board of Equalization may require the business to post a security deposit.

To obtain a California Seller's Permit, the California business, corporation, or limited liability company (LLC) must complete and file a California's Seller's Permit Application with the California State Board Of Equalization. If the sales will be ongoing, the business should apply for a “Regular” sales permit. If , on the other hand, the business will only engage in sales for a temporary period of time (90 days or less), then the business should only apply for a “Temporary” permit.

To apply for a California seller's permit, the business owner will need to have the following information:

  1. The company's EIN, or federal taxpayer identification number (if applicable) and the social security number of each business owner, or corporate officer (if applicable);
  2. A photocopy of the applicant's driver license, and if a partnership a photocopy of each partner's driver's license, and if a limited liability company, then a photocopy of each member's driver's license. For a corporation, the applicant must submit the social security number of each corporate officer;
  3. The names and addresses of every bank where the company has an account;
  4. The names and addresses of each of the company's suppliers;
  5. The name and address of the individual who will be responsible for maintaining the company's tax records;
  6. Two personal references;
  7. The types of products and services to be sold;
  8. Expected average monthly sales, and the amount of those sales which are or will be taxable; and
  9. If you have purchased an existing business, you must also provide the previous sales permit information.

Each partner, corporate officer, and limited liability company manager/member/officer, must also provide the above information.

Typically a Seller's Permit will be issued within 14 days if the application is received by mail. It can be acquired the same day, if applied for in person.

Once a California Seller's Permit is issued, the business is required to:

  1. Keep records to substantiate its sales, purchases, and return deductions for a period of four (4) years;
  2. File a sales tax return, even if the business engaged in no sales, on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis as determined by the state Board of Equalization;
  3. Pay the sales tax due on all retail sales consummated in California; and
  4. Notify the State Board of Equalization of any changes to the business, such as a change in ownership, address, additional location, or dissolution of the business.

If you would like the assistance of Melissa C. Marsh, a California business attorney, she can complete the form for you for a flat fee of $175. Simply call 818-849-5206 or Send us an Email.

Related Articles and Legal Services:

Ms. Marsh provides various low cost In House Counsel Plans designed specifically for the small business owner, and if you just have a few simple questions she provides a Telephone Consultation for as little as $129.

© 2009 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved.

If you have additional questions, or need specific legal advice tailored to your specific needs, please schedule a low cost Telephone Consultation.
If you would like to inquire about my services, please call 818-849-5206.

Disclaimer: The information presented on this web site was prepared by Melissa C. Marsh for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The information provided in my articles and alerts should not be relied upon, or used as a substitute for professional legal advice from an attorney you retain to advise or represent you. Your use of this Internet site does not create an attorney- client relationship. Transmission of this article is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. All uses of the contents of this site, other than personal uses, are prohibited. You may print or email a copy of any information posted on this web site for your own personal, non-commercial, use, but you may not publish any of the articles or posts on this web site without the Express Written Permission of Melissa C. Marsh.

Home | Request a Consultation | Practice Areas | Articles | Client Alerts | Testimonials | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright© 1998 - 2024, Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design By DK Web Design
Catering By Devon Eats

Located in Los Angeles, California, the Law Office of Melissa C. Marsh handles business law and corporation law matters as a lawyer for clients throughout Los Angeles including Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Valley Village, North Hollywood, Woodland Hills, Hollywood, West LA as well as Riverside County, San Fernando, Ventura County, and Santa Clarita. Attorney Melissa C. Marsh has considerable experience handling business matters both nationally and internationally. We routinely assist our clients with incorporation, forming a California corporation, forming a California llc, partnership, annual minutes, shareholder meetings, director meetings, getting a taxpayer ID number (EIN), buying a business, selling a business, commercial lease review, employee disputes, independent contractors, construction, and personal matters such as preparing a will, living trust, power of attorney, health care directive, and more.