Culver City Rent Control and Relocation Assistance
Prepared By: Melissa C. Marsh, Los Angeles Landlord-Tenant Attorney
Written: September 2019
Culver City Rent Stabilization – Effective August 12, 2019
p>On August 12, 2019, Culver City enacted an interim rent stabilization policy that affects all rental units in Culver City built on or before February 1, 1995 (excepting single family residences without an accessory dwelling unit, condominiums, and Section 8 Housing). Under the new measure:
- Culver City Rent Control: Landlords of rental properties in Culver City are prohibited from increasing the rent more than 3% above the rent that was in place on June 11, 2019; AND
- Culver City Just Cause Eviction: Culver City landlords are prohibited from evicting a tenant without “Just Cause;” AND
- Relocation fees: Culver City landlords will be required to pay Relocation Assistance Fees of Three times the monthly rent plus $1,000 to any tenant who is asked to vacate a rental unit without Just Cause.
- Rental Unit Registration Required. Culver City’s Interim Rent Control Ordinance requires all landlords to register their Culver City rental units with Culver City by March 4, 2020. Culver City is in the process of setting up an online registration system which should be completed by the end of September 2019.
- Culver City Registration Certificate. Culver City will issue each landlord a Rent Registration Certificate for each Culver City unit registered with the City. The Certificate must be served on the tenant or posted in a conspicuous place at the rental property.
- Rent Control Notice MUST be Posted on each Culver City Rental Property. All Culver City landlords who own a property that is required to be registered with Culver City must post the Culver City Interim Rent Control Ordinance Notice in a conspicuous location in the common area, or at the entry or entries to the apartment building or rental units to provide every tenant a reasonable opportunity to view the notice.
© 2019 Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved.
If you have additional questions, or need specific legal advice tailored to your specific needs, please schedule a low cost Telephone Consultation.
If you would like to inquire about my services, please call 818-849-5206.
Disclaimer: The information presented on this web site was prepared by Melissa C. Marsh for general
informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The information provided in my articles and alerts should not be relied upon, or used as
a substitute for professional legal advice from an attorney you retain to advise or represent you. Your use of this Internet site does not create an attorney-
client relationship. Transmission of this article is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. All uses of the
contents of this site, other than personal uses, are prohibited. You may print or email a copy of any information posted on this web site for your own personal,
non-commercial, use, but you may not publish any of the articles or posts on this web site without the
Express Written Permission of Melissa C. Marsh.
Request a Consultation
Copyright© 1998 - 2020, Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design By DK Web Design
Located in Los Angeles, California, the Law
Office of Melissa C. Marsh handles business law and corporation law matters as a lawyer for clients
throughout Los Angeles including Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Valley Village, North Hollywood, Woodland Hills, Hollywood, West LA as
well as Riverside County, San Fernando, Ventura County, and Santa Clarita. Attorney Melissa C. Marsh has considerable experience handling
business matters both nationally and internationally. We routinely assist our clients with incorporation, forming a California corporation, forming a
California llc, partnership, annual minutes, shareholder meetings, director meetings, getting a taxpayer ID number (EIN), buying a business, selling a
business, commercial lease review, employee disputes, independent contractors, construction, and personal matters such as preparing a will, living
trust, power of attorney, health care directive, and more.